Wednesday, November 5, 2014

My Weakness for British Drama and Comedy

A Netflix subscription can be a dangerous thing, especially an instant viewing package. I have been wallowing in British television over the past two weeks, and justifying this by pointing to the rainy weather preventing me from doing yard work.

First I discovered that the BBC had dramatized some of the Albert Campion mysteries by Margery Allingham. Two seasons, total of nine or ten episodes. I had to watch, because I'm both a fan of Allingham's books and a fan of Peter Davison, who played the Campion character (he was also one of the Doctors in the "Doctor Who" series). Great fun and a lovely romp through 1920s England. The second BBC series was "Keeping Up Appearances", one of my favorites, with 45 episodes available on Netflix. This is a ridiculous and hilarious portrayal of a social climbing, clueless Englishwoman and the adventures/mishaps her scheming and mistakes lead her into. Some of you may know this one. My daughter and I stumbled upon it ages ago and were hooked. Now that I've found it on Netflix, I no longer need to save up and buy the series on DVD!

What attracts me to British drama and comedy? I think it's the feeling that all the actors are part of a great national theatrical ensemble. These men and women appear together in all sorts of productions, ranging from live contemporary theatre to musical comedies to Shakespeare to television to movies to Christmas pantomimes. I envy their versatility and relentless acceptance of new roles.  Many of them studied in the same schools (such as the Royal Academy of the Dramatic Arts) and 'paid their dues' in the same types of regional theatres. They seem to practice their craft everywhere and all the time. They never seem to rest on their laurels or disappear into posh estates out in the countryside. Most of all, they seem to be enjoying the daylights out of performing. While many are supremely talented and awe-inspiring performers, they seem almost like the kinds of friends who would come over for a visit and say 'why don't we dress up and put on a play in the backyard?'.

Of course, I must mention my two favorite actors before I close. I would watch Judi Dench in anything. Full stop. And Maggie Smith is a close second. Check out the film they did together in 2004, "Ladies in Lavender". It wasn't a blockbuster, but has its charm, and gives us an opportunity to see these two matchless pros demonstrate acting that seems 'as natural as breathing' (to quote Roger Ebert). I can't think of an American actress who, in her 70s, would allow herself to be filmed looking her age or older. Dench and Smith are fearless. If you think about the remarkable variety of roles they have played in their careers, you'll understand what I mean about the versatility of the British acting community.

Perhaps on my next trip to London Town I will be able to see a few live theatre performances. Now that would be a delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment