Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Exercising My Franchise

Just out the door to vote, but needed to post a quick little reflection. Oddly enough, I am always excited to cast a ballot. Do any of you remember the thrill of voting for the first time? I was in the first group of young Americans who were eligible to vote at age 18. What a time! We could vote, and the legal drinking age for beer was 18 as well. For us, the rationale was 'if you are old enough to be drafted and sent to Vietnam, you are old enough to vote and to have a beer'. I felt so important when I went to the city offices in downtown Portsmouth to register to vote. It was a big deal. My first opportunity to cast a ballot was in Virginia in the 1972 elections (Nixon vs McGovern). Subsequently I have voted in Massachusetts, Illinois, and Indiana. In all the years since then, I have missed only a handful of elections. I always vote. I never take this privilege for granted. I am profoundly grateful for the sacrifices others have made so that I may vote, by a secret ballot, unthreatened, and with no other requirements than citizenship.

Part of this enthusiasm stems from my parents' examples. They always voted. Every election, national or local, as long as they were physically able. Of course, they joked that their votes cancelled each other's out, since they generally voted on opposite sides of national issues! But they voted. I'm not sure it ever occurred to them not to vote. With such witnesses, how could I not follow suit? I do hope, dear readers, that you share my feelings of pride and gratitude as you head to your polling places and cast your ballots.

No comments:

Post a Comment